A midnight fire that razed a three-room bungalow in Asaba Sunday has claimed the life of a three year-old boy, Master Divine Obi.
The incident which took place at Ogbotobor Street at about 10 pm also destroyed the entire building and all the properties belonging to the two families residing in it.
Mr. Emmanuel Obi, father of the victim, while briefing Daily Independent in Asaba, said he was not at home while the wife was outside in her shop that was a stone throw from the house when the incident happened.
He said from available information, the fire was caused by electrical fault when power was restored while he claimed the elder brother of the victim ran to the mother shouting that fire had gutted their building and that Master Divine was inside.
“Immediately the mother ran to the scene only to discover that the entire building was in flame with the victim already roasted to death,’’ he lamented.
In the same vein, Mr. Onochie Anosigwe and his brother’s wife Mrs. Chioma Aniosigwe who reside in the second apartment also had their property burnt to ashes.
They said though fire service came to their rescue, the fire had wrecked havoc, killing the boy and destroying all their property.
They lamented that they have been rendered houseless, therefore appealing to the state government, and spirited persons to come to their aid.
When contacted, Deputy Superintendent Police, Celestina Kalu, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), confirmed the incident and the death of the boy.